An international workshop entitled “Drugs from the Sea” will be held (mostly in Eilat, Israel) on February 9-14, 2014.
The workshop will take place on the shore of the Red Sea in the Orchid Hotel, located adjacent to the interuniversity institute (IUI).
The guests from abroad would have to arrive to Tel Aviv by Saturday Feb. 8, 2014.
The presentations (45 min each) will be given by faculty members from various Israel iuniversities as well as speakers from Canada, China, Ireland, France, Norway, Switzerland, and USA.
It will also host interested faculty members and graduate students from Israel and abroad who will present their results in poster sessions. The workshop will last 6 days.
Day 1 – A journey Tel Aviv-Eilat and organization
Days 2, 3, 4 – Oral and poster presentations, as well as snorkelling/diving and visits to the underwater observatory and IUI
Day 5 – A trip to Tel Aviv via the Dead Sea
Day 6 – It will include two talks open to the general public to be given at Tel Aviv University.
Topics to be covered include for example:
* Discovery, synthesis, and development of marine natural product drug leads
* Sulfated polysaccharides from red microalgae: From the idea to the products
* Drug discovery from marine actinomycetes: the Salinispora story
* Mining uncultivated symbiotic bacteria with metagenomic and single-cell strategies
* Diversity and evolution of secondary metabolite biosynthesis gene clusters in marine
* Development of leads to become drugs
* Novel collagen fibers from soft corals for new bio-composite materials: characterization and
* Addressing the supply problem using chemoenzymatic synthesis