EMBRC Financial Management Officer
The Financial Management Officer will have the responsibility for all EMRBC-ERIC financial activities.
Full Time, one-year contract of employment.
EMBRC-ERIC Headquarters, 4 Place Jussieu, Paris, France, c/o Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6.
The working language is English; knowledge of French will be advantageous.
Brief Description of the EMBRC
The European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC) is a distributed pan-European research infrastructure that aims to provide a strategic delivery mechanism for excellent and large-scale marine science in Europe. With its services, EMBRC will support both fundamental and applied research based on marine bioresources and marine ecosystems. The EMBRC is centrally managed by the EMBRC Executive Director, with the support of the EMBRC Secretariat, based at the Paris Headquarters, hosted by Université Pierre et Marie Curie - Paris VI, Campus of Jussieu. The working language is English; knowledge of French will be advantageous. For further information:
the EMBRC Business Plan (v1.0) is available at: http://bit.ly/1XT2o9
the EMBRC website: http://www.embrc.eu
EU Charter for Access to Research Infrastructures: http://bit.ly/2ofZ5z4
Job Mission and Objectives
EMBRC is looking for a motivated and proficient Financial Management and General Administration Officer (FMO) who will support the Executive Director in the realization of the EMBRC-ERIC financial and administration activities. In the context of EMBRC becoming an independent, private and not-for profit legal entity, in the form of a European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC), the FMO mission includes the preparation of the annual budget, with planning and periodic reporting and control of the expenses, including submission of documents for internal and external audits and certifications. The FMO will be familiar with the compliance to EU ERIC regulations regarding finances and other administrative procedures, to advice the Executive Director. S/he will also have experience of public sector administration practices and will act as a liaison between the research institutes in France and elsewhere in Europe to achieve the post’s objectives. The FMO will also have a key role in supporting the general administration of EMBRC-ERIC and the administrative relations with the EMBRC partners and external organizations. The role of the FMO will also include the financial management of EU projects.
Main responsibilities include to:
- Propose structured, accessible and accurate Financial plans of EMBRC-ERIC;
- Propose in depth and up to date analysis of EMBRC-ERIC finances;
- Develop EMBRC-ERIC book-keeping;
- Draft EMBRC-ERIC financial reports for the General Assembly, EU annual audits and any other requested reports;
- Take care of EMBRC-ERIC procurement activities;
- Calculate the annual in-kind contributions of the Members and Observers;
- Support the preparation and execution of financial agreements, including memberships and partnerships;
- Advising the Executive Director on short-term and medium-term financial objectives, actions and funding proposals;
- Advise in interpretation and implementation of the EMBRC-ERIC Rules of Operations and national legislation;
- Coordinate information emanating from external expert consultants;
- Contribute to the definition of the financial perimeter of EMBRC-ERIC;
- Describe the activities at National level, by planning and regularly collecting socio-economic data and other performance indicators from the Nodes;
- Attending the financial and general administration needs of EU projects.
Essential Skills and Competences
- Minimum qualification: Graduation from a European University or equivalent experience;
- Minimum two-year experience in similar role;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Public Sector accounting systems and related financial regulations;
- Knowledge of Private Sector not-for-Profit accountancy and related financial regulations;
- Knowledge of European regulations for ERICs;
- Knowledge of H2020 projects financial regulations and reporting needs;
- Ability to read and summarise reports of administrative and legal nature;
- Excellent presentation and reporting skills, in writing and verbally, in English and French;
- Excellent computer literacy, including command of MS Office package;
- Experience in preparing budget, and reporting on expenses;
- Data analysis skills for analytical reports;
- Ability to deal with general administrative tasks
Desirable Skills and Competences
- Knowledge of ERICs and EMBRC;
Special Personal Attributes Required for the Position
- Accountable and responsive, with a natural disposition towards the others;
- Accustomed to a multi-cultural environment, and to working with a high-degree of transparency and in close interaction with colleagues;
- Able to work towards precise objectives under specific time constraints;
- Clear and able to produce high-quality output;
- Excellent organizational skills, including own work as well as the work of others;
- High-standard work ethics;
- Willingness to cover some general administrative tasks to support the team’s needs;
Competitive salary, commensurate to titles and experience.
Full-time, one-year contract, with probation period;
Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines;
National and international travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with project partners, stakeholders, etc.
Prepare your application as one single PDF document, in English, containing a copy of your CV and the name of two references, with a cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how you could contribute. Enclose this document in an email message, with subject: “EMBRC FMO”; addressed to: <email@example.com>.
Applications will be accepted until the 28th of April. Interviews will be held in the second week of May. The position will start on July 1st, 2017.